Friday 3 June 2011

Do you get your news from Twitter?

Like, I guess, many people, I use the BBC website to find out the latest news. Today's top five stories are:
  1. Inquiry into four refinery deaths
  2. Mladic faces war crimes tribunal
  3. Betfred buys the Tote for £265m
  4. Spain seeks E. coli compensation
  5. Hackers claim another Sony attack
However, I've got to admit that recently I've found that going to Twitter and looking at the trending topics has been more enlightening with what is happening out there. It can be, admittedly, driven by the awful celebrity culture we have got ourselves mired in, but it can often bring interesting things to light. This mornings top five trending topics (ignoring hashtag trenders such as #getonmynerves) are:
  1. Tinky Winky
  2. Willow Sage Hart
  3. Marlon King
  4. Snodgrass
  5. MRSA
As a football fan (and specifically a Leeds United) I was immediately drawn to "Snodgrass" - Leeds have turned down a (derisory) £3.5m bid for Robert Snodgrass - and Marlon King - Leicester fans are delighted he's signed for Coventry! I was drawn to these stories more than I was drawn to those on the BBC (maybe I should have looked at the BBC sports news).

It just makes me wonder: Could Twitter become a key source of news in the future (is it already?) because it can "trend" stories more quickly than sites like the BBC can write them up?

No comments:

Post a Comment