Monday 4 July 2011

Price of shandy is outrageous

I was at a pub on Saturday night. It doesn't matter which pub; it could have been any pub.

As I was driving I thought it sensible to have two shandies, rather than two lagers.

A lager cost £3.70.
A shandy cost £3.70.

I know that's "always" been the case, but how does that work? Even if you can justify £3.70 for a lager (and I'm not really sure you can), I can't see how you can justify £3.70 for half a lager and half a lemonade. How much is a bottle of lemonade? Less than 50p, I'll bet. And half a pint of the stuff? Let's call it 25p so we're not underpricing it. OK, we'll double it back to 50p to take into account pub overheads. In fact we'll call it £1.20 which is what they probably charge (more research needed!).

So half a lager is half of £3.70 = £1.85.
Half a lemonade = £1.20.

The maximum price for a shandy should be £3.05.

But it's £3.70.

The answer's obvious, isn't it?
I'll be ordering half a lager and half a lemonade separately next time.

Rip-off Britain lives on.

No comments:

Post a Comment